June 20, 2019
Smoking is the main reason for lung cancer. Everybody knows this. But do you know what smoking does to your eyes? did you know that smokers are three times as likely to develop macular degeneration?
Here is a short list of what smoking does to your eyes:
- Cigarette smoke contains more than 4000 chemicals that increase your risk of sight loss. Repeated exposure to these oxidants accelerate the ageing process of delicate retinal cells;
- Smoking can cause blood vessels to narrow and increase overall blood pressure.
- Tobacco chemicals interfere with the production of tears – which help your eyes focus.
- Smoking is a major risk factor in developing cataracts.
- Smoking also increases the risk of dry eye syndrome.
- Smokers are 8 times more likely to develop thyroid eye disease.
- Smoking increases the risk of corneal ulcers in contact lenses wearers.
Euro Optics UK Ltd is one of the UK’s largest importer, wholesaler and distributer of eyewear, with over 30 years’ experience. If you wish to know more about sunglasses, reading glasses and eyewear, keep checking our blog or visit Euro Optics UK | Wholesaler of Sunglasses, Reading Glasses and Optical Frames at www.euro-optics.co.uk.